And what if I told you this one little detail was so easy to follow, that it truly takes barely any energy on your part to adhere to. Would it excite you?
Now I don’t know about you, but I love getting a lot of bang for my buck. I love creating simple refinements that provide huge results not only in my own life, but in the life of those I personally help transform also.
If you are anything like me and the clients I coach to get in the best shape of their lives, then the answer to the above questions is a great big YES.
The Power Of Hydration
Water makes up about 2/3 of our body! It is an essential element to our health and every single cell and organ relies on water to function. If that’s not inspiration to drink up, I’m not sure what else is.
Some of the miraculous functions of the body that demand water as part of the equation to function optimally include: digestion, circulation, cellular communication, muscular contraction and extension, and I could go on and on.
This is not breaking news. This is a component of basic self-care, yet ironic enough, most people reach for food and beverages that dehydrate their body. How crazy is that?!
Just a few of the many side-effects our body can experience in a dehydrated state include:
• headaches and migraines
• lack of energy and even exhaustion
• aches and even severe pain in joints and muscles.
Simple Tips To Staying Hydrated
Again, I don’t know about you, but if I knew there may be a solution to the above that is SIMPLE, and requires ZERO medication to alleviate, and costs you barely anything to implement on the daily, I am all over exploring that option. And the equation is easy:
- Greatly REDUCE what you are putting into your body that is contributing to it working insanely hard to do something extraordinary it can do with minimal effort.
- INCREASE the amount of hydrating foods, beverages and supplements that contribute to your body being optimally hydrated.
What to reduce or eliminate:
• packaged and processed foods, for they contain a high amount of sodium.
What to increase:
• water (duh, rocket science, yet this is so overlooked).
• fresh and local, organic, gmo-free fruits and vegetables (watermelon, mangos, avocados, cucumbers…)
• an all natural electrolyte supplement may also be required on hot summer days or for those that live an active lifestyle. My recommendation is a product called Super Lytes.
How Much Water Should I Drink Daily?
How much water is enough water? On the average experts say 8-8oz. glasses of water a day is sufficient. For athletes drinking half of your body weight in ounces is another measure. However, if you are sweating and exercising your body with intensity, up to a gallon a day may be required.
How much water are you drinking on the daily?
Bonus, by not confusing hunger with being thirsty you may save yourself unwanted poundage on your body. If you feel hungry yet know your body doesn’t require more food, drink a big glass of water and watch that hunger dissipate.
Also, mid-day when you are feeling an energy dump, instead of grabbing that caffeinated beverage, drink a couple glasses of water and feel yourself come to life naturally!
Tips to getting in the water you need on the daily:
- Drink a large glass of water as soon as you wake up. You can add lemon if you like for extra internal-cleansing and alkaline-inducing goodness. I also like to use warm water with a splash of raw, apple cider vinegar for a morning blessing to my body with an internal cleansing and metabolism boosting pow.
- Drink before you are thirsty. Once you are thirsty your body is already in a dehydrated state.
- Bring water with you when you leave the house. Bring it in a glass jar so you can leave it in the car and not be concerned with leaching plastic in your warm car.
Keep that body hydrated!
Samantha Fox Olson, a wealth and wellness coach on Kauai, is helping to transform the lives of countless people with an organic, gmo-free lifestyle that includes loving on our bodies with yoga and fitness.