It has been said that our physique is produced 70-80% in the kitchen and the remainder from our workouts. And I can honestly say that what we put into our mouths does make a huge impact not only on our HOW we look, but also on how we FEEL and how our body performs.
Feed your body nourishing food that the body can digest and burn efficiently and you will feel clear, your workouts will feel energized and your yoga body will bend with more ease.
I am an advocate of eating clean and if you know me, you know I greatly appreciate local and organic food too. I am not vegan, I am not gluten free. I am not a raw foodist. But I do enjoy real food and I know my body thrives from them too.
Here are some superfoods that are certain to help your body look good, feel good and move powerfully too:
Superfoods For Athletes And Health Conscious People
1. Hemp Seeds– A great choice for athletes seeking high protein sources. The proteins are easily digested and assimilated. In addition hemp contains naturally occurring phytonutrients and essential fatty acids.
2. Goji Berries– Goji berry is premier eastern herb used for hundreds of thousands of years .Goji Berries are a source of protein with naturally occurring polysaccharides and antioxidant properties. Goji Berries are also a source of naturally occurring iron. Goji is an adaptogenic which is a type of herb that aids the body to cope with stresses, adapt to change, recover from injury and improve sleep quality.
3. Maca– Maca Root is an ancient balancing superfood of the Incas, cultivated high in the mountains of Peru. It is a source of protein, and it’s properties provide energy. Like Goji Berries Maca is an adaptogenic herb so shares the benefits written above.
4. Raw Cacao– It is also rich in minerals,antioxidants and magnesium. Raw Cacao, also known as Theobroma Cacao, or to us as Chocolate, dates back to before 600 A.D. in the Mayan Culture. Traditionally, the beans were ground into a paste and drank by Mayans of high status. Indeed it was a special drink. Cacao is a great pre workout snack for an energy boost.
5. Spirulina– Spirulina is loved by many athletes for its super high and easily digested protein content. It contains naturally occurring amino acids, minerals and vitamins.
6. Chia Seeds– A prized superfood used by the Aztecs. Known as the running food , Chia Seeds are a source of naturally occurring antioxidant properties, protein, fiber, and minerals including calcium and iron.
7. Cordyceps Mushroom– Cordyceps is known as the Chinese Longevity Mushroom. It was discovered by the ancient Chinese about 1,500 years ago. Cordyceps help give you energy.
8. Chlorella– This algae plant has been used in Asian cultures for many generations. Chlorella is a source of protein and has naturally occurring iron, calcium, and antioxidant properties.
9. Camu Camu Berry– A naturally occurring source of phytonutrients, antioixdants and vitamins including vitamin C. This power berry is low in sugars.
10. Ginseng– Another premier eastern herb used for recovering from weakness and building strength. Ginseng is commonly used by athletes for its ability to increase endurance and vitality. Ginseng as well helps to regulate moods and is another adaptogenic herb.
I have added links for each product so they are easy for you to source via Amazon above. However, Vitacost is a great one-stop-online-shop to get all your organic goods with low to no shipping cost too. If you are new to Vita-cost you can use the following link to receive a free $10 coupon here too: http://goo.gl/zc16aL
And a great big gigantic mahalo to my friend Emilie Rose for contributing this rad list of superfoods that support a super-fit body!