When your kitchen smells like apple pie, the whole house is happy. Right?! And who doesn’t love comfort food like cake? But this is HEALTHY cake! That you can eat FOR BREAKFAST!
This gluten free breakfast cake recipe is gonna make your belly and your fit body HAPPY.
But before I go on any further, I gotta just put this out there. I freaking suck at photographing food. Ergh. The photo does no justice, but you will just have to take my word for it.
I do love having healthy snacks ready to eat. I love having foods that are perfect for either as a pre or post workout snack too.
Whole food nutrition is important to me. As well as eating for a lean physique and energized body.
With all that being shared, I can also say I love this “breakfast cake” and will be playing with more variations for sure. It’s like healthy, clean, comfort food all in one happy meet up. And no doubt, the kitchen smells so good with this in da oven!
Gluten Free Breakfast Cake That Smells Like Apple Pie
This recipe was inspired by: https://wholenewmom.com. I revised her recipe by keeping the fat content very low, so that I can use this cake as a post workout snack to replenish my muscles for faster recovery.
What I will try for my future batch is to add protein powder to the mix to make it a protein breakfast cake.
Ohhhhh shoot DANG! Stay tuned for that.
• 2 cups rolled oats (use gluten-free oats if necessary)
• 2 cups water
• 3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
• 1/3 cup granulated sweetener (I used SWERVE)
• 1/2 tsp salt (I recommend Real Salt)
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 tsp vanilla
24 hours in advance:
- Mix oats, water and Swerve (sweetener) and let soak at room temp over night for 24 hours.
- Mix all other ingredients together before combining with oat mixture.
- Spray a square glass pan (4×4) with coco oil spray. Line the bottom with dried mango or apples (optional). I used dried mango. Yummm.
- Bake at 375 degree for 35-45 minutes.
*Next time I will add chopped green apples into the mix before baking for an apple pie inspired breakfast cake!!!
If you like eating from the land, getting fit, rocking amazing adventures and hanging out with some of the coolest women on the planet, check out my Kauai Yoga And Fitness Retreat happening August, 2018 here.